Don’t you just love having all your plans laid out and at the last minute something’s gotta change. That’s been my story in terms of my certification path. If you have been following my blog, I’ve been pursuing my BCVRE and BCEF certs from Brocade hoping to get everything done before the year ends. However, due to work requirements, I will have to (again) defer all plans and get my MCSA cert for Windows Server 2012r2.
Oh well, anyway this blog is not a rant just wanting to share something I learned over the weekend. It’s weird that the official MS resource book didn’t mention that you just can’t install all the GUI components if you are running CORE 2k12r2. The way I understood it was, if you installed CORE and you wanted to switch over to GUI all you have to do is issue the powershell command:
Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra, Server-Gui-Infra -Restart
and this is what I got:
then I read the deal about Features on Demand and I realized I needed those files from the install.wim files located at the installation CD. So this is what I did:
- Placed the installation disc on the cd/dvd drive or mounted the .iso file on the virtual cd/dvd drive
- on the command prompt (admin rights), make sure you are on the cmd prompt not powershell. Create a directory by typing mkdir d:\mount <press enter>
- then I typed dism /mount-wim /wimfile:d:\sources\install.wim /index:4 /mountdir:c:\mount /readonly <press enter>
- type powershell, to take you to the powershell prompt
- then type: Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra, Server-Gui-Infra -Restart -source c:\mount\windows\winsxs
It took forever to install, I thought it hanged but I got my GUI of Server 2012r2 up and running.